Monday, August 29, 2011

Dealing with the Loss of a Dearly Loved Pet.

Recover from Pet Loss!
I am not sure how to start this post.  You are all probably wondering why I named it " Life is Not Fair".  Well for animal lovers life is surely not fair sometimes, or, at least it seems that way.
    Today is a very sad day for me.  I had to have my old cat companion of 14 years put to sleep.  I watched her health decline over the past year.  She lost weight, and got very weak.   I wanted to hope for the best, but somehow I could just see the life waning out of her, little by little each day.  I believe the natural supplements  I had her taking did help prolong her life. It seemed that the supplements helped with her upset stomach and wailing.  She seemed to perk up a little for a while. Then she just sort of started to go down hill. She looked so tired and like she just wanted to sleep and not wake up.  I could not take it any longer. I made the decision to let her go to the place at the Rainbow Bridge.  I loved on her all weekend long and bought her special food. I had to hand feed her to get her to eat.  She slept for hours on end. She would wake and yeowl and I would feed her again and hold her. She spent some time outside in the soft grass and laid under the tree and slept. 

    On Monday August 29, 2011, I helped my dear loving cat to go Home.  It is such a hard decision, But I know I did the right thing for her.  I could not be selfish and keep her around just to keep her around.  She was not going to get miraculously well.  No medicine was going to bring back her grace and liveliness.  She was tired and old.  I will miss her dearly. I still look for her.  I  feel like she comes in the room where I am.  I still think I can hear her meow.  I know this is just my imagination and it will pass with some time.


      Let me tell you her name. I named her Hailey, after the Hale-Bopp comet in 1997.  That comet was passing close to the earth the spring that I got her as a kitten.  She was so cute. Fuzzy, fluffy, long hair tortie.  She was big like the Maine coon cat.  She was a rescue.  I saved her from being surely eaten by opossums.  Her entire litter was devoured by opossums except for her and a brother.  He lost and eye from the opossums. She had a terrible scratch on one of her eyes.  She lost that eye later on in life when she was 11 years old.  Both kittens made it. I took her and a friend took the brother. She was such a fancy pants and so sweet.  She was my sweet girl for many years.  

   I have had many companions in my lifetime.  I luckily still have two cats and one dog.  They should keep me company for a while.

    The loss of a pet is a very hard thing.  It is like losing a member of the family.  I love each and everyone of my babies.  It was a terribly difficult thing for me to do today.  I always hate having to make that decision.  It is just so hard.  You try to reason out all of the reasons why it is right, and the right thing to do, but it still does not make it better.  I have had to make that decision several times in my life and I can tell you it Never gets easier.   It is very difficult, and it is different each time for each pet going through it.  One thing my veterinarian told me that really helped alot was "when it is the right time, you will know it."  And she was right.  When it is the right time, you just know in your heart and the angels help you make the decision and do the right and just thing for your beloved friend.
Recover from Pet Loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment