Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Squirrels

I have fond thoughts of squirrels.  I see them running around and looking for food.  They are so cute to me.  I was walking my dog one morning and I noticed a squirrel, holding one of my neighbors prized cherry tomatoes in his mouth, running towards a tree in my yard.  The little squirrel seemed so proud of itself holding that tomato.  It was looking for some place to take it's prize.  All of sudden, out from under the bushes, comes my big cat!  Now not to worry, she is declawed.  I did not declaw her, her previous owner did. But here she comes trying desperately to be the hunter she always dreamed to be.  It was not until just last year that I let her venture out to the great outdoors.  She hangs around outside all day and then sleeps on the screened in porch at night.  She loves to be outside.  I am glad to live in an area that is safe so I can let my cat be an outside cat now.  She was wrongfully declawed as far as I see it. I would have never declawed her.   She loves the outside life.
  Anyhow,  she come tearing out from under the bushes after the squirrel and the poor thing runs up the crabapple tree in  my front yard and then up on to my roof.  Fortunately through all of this, it maintains it's hold on that tomato.  I hope the little guy (or gal ) was able to enjoy that tomato. 

   Then there are the squirrels from Washington D.C.  they are a whole different breed.  These mamals are huge.  They are addicted to people junk food. So when I say they are big I am not kidding. They are as big as small cats only fatter.  And they are not scared of people. If you stop and look at them and say something then they will come up to you.   If you hold out your hand, weather you have anything in it or not, they will come up to your shoes.  They will reach up with their little hands and reach like a kid for anything. They will stand up on their hind legs and reach out to you.  They are so cute.  I think it is adorable.  I gave them some apple.  They looked at it, because I guess they were expecting pop-corn, or pretzel or some other form of D.C. vendor junk food.  Then one realized hey its food, healthy food, but food nonetheless.  He grabbed the piece of apple and took off.  Then the others came running at me when they realized that I had indeed thrown a piece of food.  I ran because all of a sudden I had at least 9 squirrels reaching up to me for more.  It was fun.  I think next time I am in D.C. I am going to take some plain unsalted, or even raw, nuts and keep them in my pocket and I will sit down in the grass and feed the squirrels.

2 comments:

  1. This is funny. I used to feed the pigeons. I don't think I would like to be in the middle of a bunch of big fat squirrels, but I may try it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Those squirrels were funny. It was neat. Next time I am going to take unsalted nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete