Monday, August 8, 2011

Rabbit Invasion

I love animals,  I have always loved them, all kinds. I love rabbits, cute little bunnies, little cotton tails.  I thought we had alot of rabbits in North Carolina.  I was wrong.  There are alot of rabbits here in northern Maryland.  Every night I can count at least 3 rabbits in my front yard, that does not include the ones in the back, or my neighbors yards.  The rabbits here are so calm and tame and used to people that they will just lay on their sides on the yard and let you just about walk up to them.  I never knew that rabbits made cute little grunting noises either.  I was working one night in the office and I had the windows open. It was a nice cool evening. I was enjoying the cool breeze and break from the summer heat.  It was very quiet except for the noise of my keys clicking away.  I then noticed all this racket outside the window.  I went over to the window to see what was going on. There was my rabbit family, I think there were actually 5 rabbits this night in particular.  They were talking to each other with this weird grunting sound. It was pretty loud too. It was loud enough to cause my dog to sit up from his zonked out sleep.  My dog woke up while I was intently looking out the window in amazement at all the rabbits talking in my front yard.  My dog got up to have a look for himself.  I had to tell him to go on because I was afraid he would start trying to talk back to them.  They grunted and hopped around the yard enjoying themselves.  It was such a pleasant site.  It was peaceful and soothing.   I now know that rabbits do talk among themselves.  I also believe that rabbits will tolerate groundhogs.  In addition to all the rabbits I also have a family of ground hogs that frequently visit my back yard.  I know they are living under the shed in my neighbor's yard.  I have on occasion spied rabbits and ground hogs grazing around my back yard.  Often I look out at my yard and neighbors yards and view many rabbits and ground hogs rooting around in the grass and dirt looking for what ever it is they want.  I am just so amazed at this population of rabbits.  My dog does not seem to mind them. He loves his cat sisters and does not try to harm them. I guess he views the rabbits as cats.  They lay around on their side all stretched out and relaxed on the grass.  He will playfull chase them but It does not look as if he has any intention to harm them.  My neighbors dogs, on the other hand,  would tear one apart if he could catch one. I have wittnessed him chase a rabbit through the yard. It is clear what the intentions are.  As for me, I love to hear the little rabbit conversations as they eat and move around. It is very peaceful.  I am glad they have chosen my yard as their roaming ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment