Monday, August 15, 2011

The Joy of owning a German Shepherd.

       I own a big goofy 120 pound German shepherd.  He is a male.  He is a big sweet "teddy" dog.  It is a joy to have him.  He was not always a joy.  I acquired him in December of 2006.  I was looking for a younger companion for my older female German shepherd.  She was 7 years old at the time and I thought it would be a good idea to find a younger male to keep her company.  I wanted a big male dog around 2 years old.  I thought she could help train him and they would keep each other company.  I was looking for a rescue shepherd.  I searched and searched. I checked the papers.  I went to rescue sites.  That was not successful.  The rescue sites are great, but they want you to sign something that says you are going to allow this huge dog to be the king of your house and never have to live outside.  That is fine, but my female loved being outside.  She was raised outside in a kennel before I got her and she loved it outside.  So I could not get a dog from the rescue because I was not used to having a large dog in the house.  Much less one inside and one outside, so much for companionship.
        I finally found a German shepherd listed on Craig's List in my area.  I called the ad and found out that I was 10 minutes late on my call.  The guy on the phone said someone had already called about the dog.  I gave him my name and number anyhow in case it did not work out with the other caller. I hung up all sad and feeling like I was never going to find a dog.   Next thing I know my phone rang and it was the guy with the dog. He said the other caller had cancelled and if I wanted to see the dog I should come on.  I immediately jumped in my truck and headed out following the directions the guy had given me to get to his house.
      I made it to the house and there he was, the most beautiful dog.  He was so pitiful looking though.  He was skinny, and  his fur was dry and dull. He looked tired and lost and scared.  His eyes were searching.  He was friendly,and let me pet him. All he had on was a stinky flea collar.  He had sores on his paws, so I know he had been running for a long time.  He came right to me immedately.  I petted him and talked to him.  He seemed to understand.  I told the guy I wanted him and I asked the dog if he wanted to go home with me.  He looked at me with his beautiful brown eyes as if to say, "Please take me to a good home".  The guy was nice, he said the dog just appeared in his yard one morning a week earlier and would not leave.  The guy wanted to keep him but he already had a dog and his dog was not fond of the new comer.  He had a vet check him for a chip to see if he belonged to anyone.  He also put up flyers and posted him in the lost and found. After a week he decided he needed to find the dog a good home.  I am glad I found him. I think it was meant for me to have this dog.
   So, off I headed towards home with my prize.  Little did I know what I was in store for.  I decided to call my new family member Trooper, because he certainly looked like a tooper.  He looked as though he had been through hell and managed to make it.   I carefully  introduced him to my female dog China when we got home.  They seemed to hit it off pretty well. He was so much bigger than she was.  He stood a whole 7 inches taller.  I could tell he was going to be a big dog.   He had the biggest feet I have seen.  China liked him alot.  They had their little differences at first, China was a Alpha female.  She was big for being a female, she was 78 pounds.  She immediately let the new Trooper know that she was the Alpha female and the Queen of the house and he was to allow that.  He did not argue too much. They had a few squabbles in the beginning but quickly things settled down into a nice relationship. 

     I had to take Trooper to the veterinary as soon as I could.  That is when all the fun began.  I found out he was around two years old. He weighed 80 pounds, and he was sick with heart worms.  Oh, and he was not neutered either, which concerned me as far as aggression goes.  I was afraid he would be aggressive towards my female.  No, that did not happen. I guess because she was much older and Alpha she quickly put him in his pecking order.  He was indeed a full blooded German Shepherd Dog. It was not hard to be able to tell that just by looking at him. He was a fine example of what a big strapping male German Shepherd should look like.  Everyone at the veterinary office was oohing and aahing at him.  He quickly stole the hearts of everyone he came in contact with.  I started the hard task of getting him healthy. First were the painful and dangerous heartworm treatments.  That hurt me to see him go through it.  He was indeed a trooper through it all.  I had started feeding him a high quality dog food and gave him a bath and groomed him and brushed him everyday.  He was starting to change. His eyes were no longer tired and dull looking.  His coat was no longer dull and shaggy.  It was getting shiny and full. He was gaining weight. I worked with him daily because the poor guy had no idea what a leash was.  He also had no idea what a toy was or even a treat.  He would not eat milk bones or most other treats. He did finally accept and love his chicken jerky treats, and pork twists with the liver center. Those are the only two he will eat.  He did not know or acknowledge any dog toys.  I finally got him interested in a ball.  Oh boy that was a mistake.  He did love his ball however.  It had to be this special bumpy ball.  No other would do.  He loved thoses bumpy balls. Pet Smart stopped carrying them. I almost screamed.  I thought, Oh No, where am I going to get Trooper his special toy.  He would chew them up pretty quickly and I had to keep a supply.  When I would play with CHina he had to run along and chomp on his ball too.  I finally found a supply at Lowes food stores.  Yeah Lowes Food Stores.  I bought a bunch of those balls.  My mom would also buy them if she was shopping and bring them to me.  He still loves those balls.  He does not chew them up so frequently now.  He has grown into such a fine adult male. He is 7 going on 8 now.  He is such a calm sweet male.  


            It pains me to say that in the summer of 2010 we lost our beloved China the week of my birthday.  She was 12 years old.  She had already started getting that degenerative nerve condition in her back and hips.  I had given her Cosequin to help with her moving around and pain.  She slowed down tremendously, but she was very galiant to the end.  I just let her totter around and she would try to play with Trooper and I in the back yard.  She had such a strong heart and will.  I tried to baby her as much as possible.  The Veterinarian said I would know when the time was right to do the humane thing and put her down.  The Veterinarian was right, when the time came I knew it.  Trooper was there for his friend and adopted mother when she went. He kissed her face as she slipped over The Rainbow Bridge".  That was a hard day for all of us.   After that I was afraid that Trooper would be very lonely and mornful.  I was not used to having a big dog in the house but there is always a first time for everything.  It was difficult at first but we all adjusted to it.  Now Trooper is a spoiled rotten King of the house and an indoor dog.  He stays outside during the day.  But in the evenings he comes in and lays around with the family.  I think, no I know, he sleeps on the furniture at night when he knows we are not looking.  He knows it is off limits.  He has a super orthopedic dog bed of his own, but I guess there is nothing like getting one over on mom and sleeping on the couch when he thinks I am not looking.  I know he is on the couch, I can see his hair for goodness sake.   Plus I have gotten up and sneeked into the living room before and peeked around the wall and seen him sleeping on the couch.  All in all, he is a super dog.  He has matured and is very calm and a joy to take on walks.  That was not always the case.  But all that matters is that he turned out to be a super part of the family.  Oh and by the way I did finally have him neutered. I had to wait untill he was totally cleared of his heartworms.  I decided it was best to have him neutered.  Everyone should have their dog spayed or neuterd.  Save the animals.  I wanted to breed him but I did not have any papers on him and I just could not bring myself to make more poor puppies.  So many animals are dying today.  It is such a shame, the animal population has expanded and bloomed to too much.   So Trooper did not create any babies.  He is happy and healthy and spoiled rotten.  I do love him so much.  His only downfall is that he is such a baby when it comes to fireworks and thunder storms.  If I can only help him over come those obstacles then everything would be great.  But I am not worried too much about that.  I just enjoy having this huge dog companion.  He did gain up to 120 pounds, he is sleek and slim and health and shiney and certainly my pride and joy.

     

1 comment:

  1. A very heartwarming story. I'm glad he is well and so healthy now. The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete